Why in News
- China issued stapled visas to some of the sportspersons from Arunachal Pradesh representing the country in an international sporting event in China.
- The athletes were part of the 12-member team bound for the World University Games in Chengdu.
- India has lodged a strong protest with the Chinese side and said that it would respond suitably.
About Stapled Visa
- When the stamps of the country you are visiting, not placed on the passport, but on pages staple to it is called Stapled Visa.
- When the visitor leaves the country, his visa and entry and exit stamps are torn out, leaving no record on his passport.
- Stapled Visa is countries which are hostile to each other.
- The practice of stapling the visas stems from China’s claim on most of Arunachal.
Any Previous Incidents
- In 2009 also, China started giving stapled visas to the residents of Jammu and Kashmir.
- This meant that China do not recognise India’s sovereignty over J&K.
- However, China did not make any formal statement to this effect.
- Similarly, by giving stapled visa to the residents of Arunachal Pradesh, it registers its protest over the existing status of their citizenship.